Saturday, August 25, 2012

More Karma


It's sometimes sad when I see karma play out in someone's life. I recently learned of a professional acquaintance who lost his credentials over unprofessional and unethical behavior.

The loss of his licenses came as no surprise. He’d been under investigation by the state for a few years over questionable conduct.  He had a history of treating people badly, both peers and those he considered beneath him. He had a habit of berating others in public and alienating his employees. It was uncomfortable to be around him for long because of his anger.

And one time he got so out of control he was arrested for assault. On this occasion he was censured by the licensing board for his behavior. However, he didn’t change because of  his knack for rationalizing his behavior and blaming others.

Because this person had insulted and abused me on occasion I thought I’d feel good when he finally had his comeuppance. But that isn't the way I felt when I heard about him losing his ability to make a living, and probably his home and business. I felt sadness.

I guess I feel this way because I know he has the ability to achieve whatever he wants. But he's let his psychological issues and lack of self-esteem undermine his success.

I believe we live in a world of bounty, that God wants us to be happy.  And I'm not one who’s willing to sabotage that because of personal idiosyncrasies.

Although this person has finally suffered the consequences of his behavior, it may be the lesson he needs to look at himself. Or he can sink further into bitterness and anger. I believe that nothing happens on God's earth by mistake or accident. When we pay a price for our bad behavior I believe God’s teaching us another lesson.

Even though I was hurt by this person I find no satisfaction in his downfall – even though I thought I would.

Actually, it's my hope that one day he put his life back together and live up to his potential.

2 comments:

  1. This was written nicely. It hit my heart. Thanks for the great insight. Your friend, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Sally. I appreciate your messages.

    ReplyDelete