Sunday, September 30, 2012

A Mother's Pain


This response from a mother - to a blog I posted last week – is an eloquent testimonial that capsulizes why I write this blog each day.

“John, I just need to tell you that I read your blog almost daily. I have a daughter who is caught up in the turmoil of addiction. We have had to learn to "love her from afar". After trying for years to help her, we finally realized that wanting to do something and being able to do something are two different things. Reading your words reassures me nearly every day that we are doing the right thing. It’s painful to be the parent of an addict, but it’s even more painful when you're swirling in the midst of their addiction with them. Thank you for so frankly sharing your stories and experiences.”

Those of us in recovery need only to read the above message to realize once again the devastating impact our disease has on those close to us.

Though we may apologize and make financial amends to our loved ones, how can we ever repair the damage we do to their hearts and dreams?

Once we find our way out of the emotional haze of alcohol and drugs we must look beyond ourselves and realize that we forever have a responsibility to those around us - and to the world at large.

I pray that this mother soon has a whole and healthy daughter back in her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment