Friday, September 28, 2012

The Fruits of Sobriety

Last night I spoke at a monthly graduation at one of our outlying houses in North Phoenix. Even though I’m CEO and founder of TLC, I only share if I’m asked.

And my message is always the same: I’m living sober - and so can you.

 I never take an evangelical rah rah approach. I don’t try to convince anyone it’s a good idea to get sober.  Life lets us know if sobriety is a good idea. If we’re having life problems because of alcohol or drugs then living sober might be a good idea.

I talk about what it was like, what happened, and what it’s like today.

I talk about dragging myself into a detox in Mesa, Arizona January 13, 1991, homeless, broke and dope sick.  I was 51 years, had hepatitis C, no job, and had lived the previous two weeks in a stolen car.  I feared my retirement might include a long prison term.

However, life changed after I admitted I was an alcoholic. After eleven days in detox I moved to a local halfway house that accepted me without money.

Within months my health started returning. I attended meetings and went to in-house groups. I found work with a former employer.  First I bought a used bicycle, then later an old beater of a car. Life got better.

At the end of the first year I moved into a dilapidated house I purchased with no money down and started TLC. Within 15 months we had over 130 clients.

Sobriety brought many changes:  I lost my parents and only brotherI reunited with my children. I got divorced.  Recently I married again - to a wonderful woman who brings me pleasure. I enjoy much success and prosperity. 

And it all happened because I got sober.  These are the things I shared with our clients.

1 comment:

  1. John, I just need to tell you that I read your blog almost daily. I have a daughter who is caught up in the turmoil of addiction. We have had to learn to "love her from afar". After trying for years to help her, we finally realized that wanting to do something and being able to do something are two different things. Reading your words reassures me nearly every day that we are doing the right thing. Its painful to be the parent of an addict, but its even more painful when you're swirling in the midst of their addiction with them. Thank you for so frankly sharing your stories and experiences.

    ReplyDelete