Thursday, October 11, 2012

Dope House?


I sometimes hear bad things about TLC.

            "It's a dope house," we frequently hear.

            "Everyone's drunk there," is another.

            "My manager sold me drugs," is sometimes heard.

            "The place is filthy and infested with cockroaches," is a favorite.

In the 20 years plus we've been in business I've heard a lot of bad rap about TLC. But it's interesting that none of it ever comes from our successful clients. Nor does it come from families who are happy their loved ones are finally clean and sober.

It always comes from clients who are unable to stay sober. And to me, their negative remarks are understandable. After all, who wants to admit they can't stay sober?

Who's going to tell their mom  "I went to this halfway house that let me in for no money but I couldn't stay sober because I didn't follow their suggestions." 

At one time the Department of Corrections quit letting parolees come to TLC. They told us those parole violators who went before the board claimed our program is full of drugs and they just couldn't stay sober.

DOC finally started sending us clients again when we asked why they expected a violator to tell the truth about why they started drinking or drugging again..

We also pointed out that our society is awash in drugs – even the prisons and jails. While we spend some $20,000 a year on drug screens it still doesn't deter some addicts - those who not serious about recovery – from trying to get by our system.

I usually challenge those who believe these addicts to pay  us a visit. Or, better yet, check in anonymously and see what’s going on.

We have beds available.

No comments:

Post a Comment