Monday, October 15, 2012

Gratitude Check

Today I awaken with gratitude for my sober life.  And I'm 100% convinced that it's difficult to relapse if one has gratitude. 

Often - when I talk to newcomers at the halfway house - they wonder why they should be grateful. Most are broke. They have no job. Some have health issues. Many have lost contact with their family. Others are divorced or separated.

And they give me the crazy look when I say, in response to their circumstances, “Great, this is good point to start rebuilding your life."

Because the reality is that when we've lost everything then we know where our addictions have brought us. 

When we move beyond our self-indulgent, self-centered outlook we can look around us and see many who have it really bad.

Helpless children are suffering from serious diseases. The handicapped are driving down the street in motorized wheelchairs. Homeless are panhandling at the entry of freeways. There are myriad folks in the world who have it very bad – and often they are suffering from mental or physical challenges over which they have no control.

At least those of us dealing with substance abuse have a way out of our issues if we only decide to change.

And for that I’m grateful…

No comments:

Post a Comment