Friday, October 19, 2012

Recovery Story

Last night I shared my recovery story with men at our Glendale facility. The same one I always tell.

It recounts how I spent 42 years drinking and 38 years using drugs before I started to change.

For those who think they are too old to get sober, I tell them I didn't start on the recovery path until I was 51 years old.

I explain to those who fear lack of education will keep them from success that I only had a GED when I went to detox - today I have an advanced degree.

And for those who have health issues I tell them I've had hepatitis C for over 22 years.

I went on to explain that any excuse works if one wants to drink or drug. It’s too hot today. It’s too cold today. Someone looked at me sideways. My back hurts. Any of these will work if we want to get wasted. But if we want to get clean and sober, nothing deters us.

Once we remove drugs and alcohol from our system we can achieve whatever we want.

If was a good meeting and I was grateful to be able to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment