Sunday, January 6, 2013

900 Days

A business associate who’d read my blog asked if I wrote it every day. I said yes, that I've been doing so for 900 days. 

He wondered what the point was, so I explained that I do it for no other reason other than that I’d made a commitment to write 1000 blogs in a row.

It started as a way to force myself to write every day. After all, I exercise each day. And that's kind of the way I look at this.  It's a mental workout.  And it adds to my ability to stay focused and keep a commitment – any commitment.

So I show up at the computer each day and look through my notes for a topic that might help someone with their recovery or their life view.

Some days I show up dry, without a speck of inspiration, yet I produce something almost against my will. But isn’t that what our lives are all about? At times we don’t want to get out of bed. Some days we don’t want to show up for work. We don’t want to go to a meeting. Or go to the gym. There are days when everything seems a major effort. Yet we do what we have to do for our own reasons and hope for the best.

And the interesting thing is that sometimes - when I produce a blog when I’m unmotivated - I’ll get a response from a reader, saying how much they got out of it. Go figure.

But that’s why I do this: because someone might get something out of it – even if it’s only me learning to write.

2 comments:

  1. Hi John, I have been following your blog for just six or so weeks. I always find it an interesting read and yes, there has been those times when your blog has been inspirational for me. Thank you. The success you have had with your commitment to sobriety, diet and exercise, you are having no problem with this blog. Will you turn it into a book?
    RET

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading RET. I appreciate your comments. As to a book, once in a while my ego pops up and says, "Yeah, publish a book." Right now it's about having the time. But, I never say never..

      Delete