Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Friday, January 25, 2013

Another Attaboy...

Received the following from a former client, the sort of message that makes me happy to show up at the office each day. (Names are omitted to protect confidentiality.)

“My name is E……. D…….., and I was a resident of Mac House from June to September of 07. Before I entered your program I was struggling daily with the use and abuse of alcohol and cocaine. I came to your facility from New Jersey, and I want to let you know that the experience was something I could not thank you enough for. Although I did slip once or twice when I got back home,

“I am clean and sober today and one of the reasons for this is what I got out of TLC. I have the certificates from your program hung on my bedroom wall and it reminds me everyday of the 90 days I spent there. Thank you for letting me walk into your facility when my scorecard read zero. I hope that if I am ever in the Mesa area, I can come in and share my experience, strength, and hope, and give back a little of what you had given to me. So in closing, thank you again, and if (former manager) is still around, tell him I said hello.”


Messages like this mean a lot to me - and our staff. 

 It’s a blessing to hear that - 2000 miles away - an addict is having a better life because he spent 90 days with us over five years ago … It makes this so worthwhile...