Saturday, January 12, 2013

Going for 23

Almost twenty-two-years ago – the 14th of January, 1991, I admitted I was alcoholic. It was the watershed moment of my life.

There’s nothing I've done that's made such a difference. For years I went back and forth with my alcoholism. I didn't want to be an alcoholic. It was okay to be a heroin addict. Heroin addicts were cool in the fifties. But the idea of being an alcoholic - like my father and brother who both died from drinking - had no appeal. I knew I was a heroin addict, but wouldn't admit my alcoholism.

Eventually though, life intervened. I was drinking and drugging so much I had to face myself. I was homeless and headed back to prison. I was stealing each day to survive. I was living in a stolen car. When I drug myself into detox January 13, 1991 I was willing to do whatever it took - even admit being alcoholic.

I enthusiastically attended 12-step meetings. I went from detox to a halfway house. I found a job. I joined the YMCA. I began paying back child support.

Within a year I was on my feet – more or less. I laid the groundwork for TLC and started my own chain of halfway houses. I had a new career and a new life.

I think the real value I bring to the recovery world is a message to those who think they’re too old, or uneducated, or unhealthy, to get into recovery.

When I entered sobriety I was 51 years old. I had a GED. No money or credit. I had hepatitis C. I was a five time loser; three as an adult, twice as a juvenile. However, none of that stopped me. I made a determination that I wanted to change my life. 
 
Today I have a lovely wife, a circle of friends, successful businesses, and relatively good health – all because I’ve been sober 22 years. 

I think I'll go for 23...

3 comments:

  1. what a motivateing read and why do I believe it is out of my reach

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have helped me change my life and for that I am truly Grateful! Happy Happy B-Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we believe recovery is out of our reach - we're right.

    Belief is always key...

    ReplyDelete