Tuesday, January 1, 2013

New Year's Gratitude

While in my office yesterday, contemplating a blog for New Year’s Day, I was musing about gratitude.  Then, almost fortuitously, a long time client showed up to chat.

And probably as much as any anyone I've dealt with over 21 years, this man's progress represents what TLC is about.

When I met him several years ago he’d been in and out of the primary program several times. Finally he made it to the Hard Six program, but also left there before graduating. Eventually, though, he returned and this time didn't run off.

During this last stint he struggled to confront the demons that led him to drink and live homeless for so many years. While I long ago quit picking winners and losers, I honestly wouldn't have been surprised had he left again.  At times it was painful to witness his struggles.

But he drew on the same toughness that helped him survive the brutal streets of Phoenix for so many years and continued to seek solutions.

Today he’s still around. He has a driver’s license. He has a lady in his life. He has a job. He’s still learning how to be a part of the human race.

When I see his success – which I define simply as living sober – I’m grateful to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment