Monday, January 14, 2013

Unique?

Those of us sober are unique. Not unique in an egotistic or "special" way.

Unique in that we prayed for a better life. Then God heard our pain and put us on the path.

Change is difficult.  So difficult that fewer than ten percent of addicts and alcoholics succeed. To do it we convince the one in the mirror to do different. And it's an ongoing - often tough - process. We must be unwavering and unrelenting to adhere to our goal of sobriety.

For me, change is ongoing. When I stop growing - stop trying to become what God intends – I fall into this funk of quasi – guilt. After a few days of no progress, no change, I come back because that’s where I belong.

Only in retrospect is change dramatic – at least for me. I look behind me a year, five years, ten years – and progress seems astounding. But the changes occurred at a glacial pace, incrementally day-by-day, week by week, month by month.

We who overcome our history of failure, of relapse, of wreckage and remain sober are indeed unique. We survived the pitfalls that claimed those who are not convinced that sobriety and clean bring us the ultimate joy.

May be continue...

1 comment:

  1. We are not "strange", we are "unique" in God's eyes. We are "legitimate" because we are in the tough process of change.

    Thank you John for your words; unwavering, unrelenting, glacial pace, surviving the pitfalls and Ultimate Joy. I shall take them with me.
    RET

    ReplyDelete