Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Sunday, March 31, 2013

A Boring Life...

A non-addict business associate said my life seemed “so boring” when I told him how I live today.

In over 22 years I haven’t drank or used drugs. I exercise six mornings a week. I haven’t eaten meat in 22 years and follow a mostly vegan diet. I meditate. I work nearly every day – and I go to meetings.

I agreed with him that - by his standards – my life is boring. But by my standards life is absolutely wonderful for so many reasons.

Because I:
  • Married to the love of my life. 
  • Don’t disappoint others by my behavior 
  • Am able to maintain health. 
  • Work with other recovering addicts and have for over 22 years. 
  • No longer spend on criminal lawyers or bondsmen. 
  • Never worry about police kicking in the door - which happened countless times. 
  • Don’t spend time counting the days and hours before I’m released from jail, prison, or the state hospital. 
  • Don’t wonder what I’ll steal or sell to obtain my next fix or drink. 
This list could go on and on. But the point is that today I enjoy many of the blessings of life that others take for granted.  Pleasures and benefits I threw away because of my disease.

The kind of boring life I like.