Friday, April 5, 2013

Over-Medicated?

As I was leaving the parking light yesterday I encountered a client I hadn't talked to in some time. I’d met him when he first came in, but he was assigned to someone else's caseload. So we had little interaction..

But I was immediately struck by his improved appearance after only six weeks. His color had improved. Posture was better. He seemed more confident – and had a smile on his face.

When I asked what had happened, what had changed, he told me he’d quit the medication he’d been on when he came in. Upon arrival he had a travel kit full of various meds. One for arthritis. Another for asthma. Another for migraine headaches. One for depression. The list went on and on.

I asked if he’d withdrawn from the medication under a doctor's supervision, He said he had. And as a result he hasn't felt better in years. No pain. Depression is almost nonexistent. And he has no desire to use, he said, smiling as he told me.

I never make recommendations to clients about doing anything other than following the doctor’s recommendations. However, I do believe many addicts and alcoholics are over-medicated. By far.

Another man in our program takes about 20 different medications a day – one for each of several ailments. And for some reason, he never feels well and has a difficult time participating program activities.  Duh...

My belief is that clients should be on medications their doctors recommend.  And then only the minimal dosage.

The question to ask our doctor is: do I really need this medicine?