Thursday, May 2, 2013

Stolen Soul

An older woman, who lives in a hotel across from our corporate office, asked to speak to me about one of our managers.

As I listened, she told me in a serious tone that the manager had stolen something from her. When I asked what it was, she said, "every time he walks by, he steals my soul."

I listened for a while then went on my way, recognizing that this was another of her delusions.

For several years this woman has faced various challenges. Sometimes she'd be very irrational. At others, she’d be delusional. At one point - maybe when her medication was exactly right, she presented herself like a normal healthy woman. For those few weeks she'd be well-dressed, clean, well groomed and fairly articulate.

Working day in and day out for 22 years with alcoholics and addicts, I find plenty of opportunities for gratitude.  But when I encounter this woman I’m reminded that in the larger community there are many who face much worse challenges than those of us in recovery.

As I went about my day I was grateful for my own good health and the many blessings God has bestowed upon me and my loved ones..