My youngest daughter sent a sad email this week, telling of the death of the younger brother of a close friend from grammar school days.
She said the 21-year-old was discovered dead the night before from a combination of alcohol and drugs.
All she could do was give her friend flowers and condolences. And the next day she said how happy she was that I gotten clean and sober 22 years ago.
And, of course, I share the same sentiments. Had I not walked into the light 22 years ago I wouldn't have lasted long – definitely not 22 years..
I was always a user who knew nothing of restraint. And before I finally had a spiritual awakening I was on the fast track to either prison or death. There was no point to moderation.
It’s one thing to read about an overdose in the news. But when it happens to a someone who’s once or twice removed, it brings home the reality of our deadly disease.