Friday, July 5, 2013

Back to Work?

A former Hard 12 client who left TLC several months ago because he was desperate to get back to work called for help. He thought he was about to die from drinking. He wanted to go to detox.

When our guys arrived at the apartment they found several empty half-gallon vodka bottles strewn around. The utilities had been shut off for non-payment. The place was sweltering. Plus he was about to be evicted.

And he was right about being near death. He was so weak he had to be carried out. When he gets released from detox we’ll likely take him back because that’s what we do. Help people until they can help themselves.

This man is a classic example of our male clients who think their only problem is work. They usually say things like “I have bills to catch up on.” Or, “I’m behind in my child support.” Or, “I need to help my kids.” The rationalizing goes on and on.  It sounds good.

While it may be true that these are the kinds of obligations we all face, we’ll never take care of anything until we get clean and sober.

Over and over in my counseling sessions I point out that those of us who are real addicts have only one problem: our disease. If we make recovery our priority everything we need will be provided.

It says so in the Promises.