Monday, July 1, 2013

See the Flowers

Many eyes go through the meadow, but few see the flowers in it” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Emerson's saying will work well for any of us.

And I believe the "flowers" of which he writes means the many things in our lives that can teach us lessons.

For example, it never seems to fail that when I'm in a snit about something, God puts a lesson in my path.

It occurred again this morning when I went to my office to update a project only to discover the air conditioner wasn't working. Mildly irritated because I had to turn around and return home, I looked over at the dumpster behind our building and saw an alcoholic I know working very hard to find aluminum cans or anything else worthwhile in the trash. At the time it was about 109° and muggy.

Immediately my attitude changed. I realized my minor frustration was nothing compared to what this man must be experiencing. He probably was working that hard so he could buy another bottle. And he reminded me that today I'm sober and not in the dumpster beside him.

I think we all can benefit by looking at the many positives in our lives. By stopping for a moment and being grateful for the health we have, for the prosperity we enjoy. For the opportunities that abound around us.

In a world where so many suffer we benefit when we look for the “flowers” that Emerson described.