Thursday, July 18, 2013

Start with Gratitude

Gratitude is the foundation of a good day.

If I awaken and count my blessings I’m starting off right.

Sometimes in early recovery we may ask, what could I possibly be grateful for?

I live in this halfway house without air conditioning. My parole officer acts like he wants to put me back in prison. I don’t like the food. And another addict in recovery, who hasn’t been sober long at all, is telling me I have to find a job - or go to day labor.

And while all the above may be true, we can still find much to be grateful for if we make a small effort.

My list takes little effort at all: I’m grateful for my marriage. For my loved ones. For my friends. My health. The freedom to make good or bad choices.

Watching the news provides a gratitude checklist. I’m not caught up in a meaningless war. I’m in a country where I can express my opinion without going to jail. I live in an economy that – even in down times – is the envy of much of the world.

If we take the simple small step of awakening with gratitude then we’re going to have a great day.

Start your list...