Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Start with Gratitude

Gratitude is the foundation of a good day.

If I awaken and count my blessings I’m starting off right.

Sometimes in early recovery we may ask, what could I possibly be grateful for?

I live in this halfway house without air conditioning. My parole officer acts like he wants to put me back in prison. I don’t like the food. And another addict in recovery, who hasn’t been sober long at all, is telling me I have to find a job - or go to day labor.

And while all the above may be true, we can still find much to be grateful for if we make a small effort.

My list takes little effort at all: I’m grateful for my marriage. For my loved ones. For my friends. My health. The freedom to make good or bad choices.

Watching the news provides a gratitude checklist. I’m not caught up in a meaningless war. I’m in a country where I can express my opinion without going to jail. I live in an economy that – even in down times – is the envy of much of the world.

If we take the simple small step of awakening with gratitude then we’re going to have a great day.

Start your list...