Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Another Perspective

I have a problem If I depend on outside circumstances to make me happy. Because happiness is not about the outside. Happiness is about my insides. And I can change my insides by changing my perspective.

For example, If I wake up in the morning and look out the window and see a cloudy day I can make a choice: I can enjoy the break from the brain-numbing Arizona sun. Or I can look at it as a gloomy day and let it dictate my mood.

One way to change perspective is to develop self-awareness. For example, when I get too busy I can feel overwhelmed. And if I don't intervene with that feeling it can develop into stress and frustration.

If I stop and tell myself that how I feel is simply part of the business I started – providing services to 600 addicts and alcoholics – then I'm okay. Once I reaffirm that I made the conscious choice to do challenging things, then life is easier. After all, I don't have to do what I do. God has allowed to do what I do.

To change perspective simply stay in the moment and check your feelings. Change begins there.