Thursday, August 8, 2013

Growing in the Program

Some clients – as they deal with drug or alcohol issues – find themselves in the grip of a new addiction: eating.

I've seen this many times over the past 20 years where a client gains 50 or even 100 pounds. Some seem to view eating as entertainment or recreation. Then one day they realize they have a new issue.

Then I witness as they start fighting a new battle with weight loss – which is a serious and difficult challenge for anyone.

Because I’m a vegan whose biggest problem is gaining weight it's difficult to relate. I realized a long time ago that if I eat too much of anything I just plain don't feel good. And I didn't get into recovery to feel bad about anything.

We suggest that they make healthy choices. For some, if they're motivated, we offer gym memberships so that they can also exercise.

I suggest that they don't look at food as entertainment or recreation. If they look at food as fuel and nourishment for their body - which is a sacred gift from God - then they might think differently about it.

I also suggest they look into the health benefits of a plant-based diet, which is explored in great detail at foodmatters.tv or view the video “Uprooting the Leading Causes of Death.”