Thursday, September 26, 2013

Feeding the Dinosaurs

To enhance my recovery, I have an early routine.  The first thing I do is 15 minutes of Transcendental Meditation.  Next, an hour workout, either at LA fitness or in my home gym.  And after that it's around daylight and the animals are awake. So I feed them.

First it's the Chihuahuas, who get overly excited about what appears to be a pretty boring diet prescribed by their veterinarian - expensive entrees of high protein canned food and some sort of special diet pellets. And I don't ask my wife why they can't be like other dogs and eat out of the supermarket. I just pay for it.

After that, I feed the birds that congregate around the swimming pool. They happily consume old bread that's about to be discarded from the halfway houses.  I'm not quite sure why this fascinates me, but for some reason feeding the birds – and the ducks that visit the pool in the wintertime – is a way to be in touch with the natural world – kind of a spiritual thing. And the other day it became even more interesting when I read that birds are really descendants of dinosaurs.  In essence, they are modern dinosaurs.  http://scitechdaily.com/evidence-shows-that-birds-are-essentially-living-dinosaurs

Maybe I enjoy watching them because it reminds me – in the rush of our fast-moving computerized world – that in the final analysis we're all God’s creatures, part of the rhythm of life.

When I see creatures around my pool whose ancestors predate Adam and Eve by millions of years I’m grateful to be part of this great mystery called life.

Comments?  schwary@msn.com