Sunday, September 15, 2013

Having Gratitude...

Earlier this week I was reminded to live in gratitude when I saw an old acquaintance whom I hadn't seen in some six years.   He works in a recovery related field in another state and has nearly 30 years’ sobriety.

He's been a friend to TLC and refers many clients to our program.

And for the past 18 years, this man has been battling a rare infectious disease which has consumed cartilage in his face and nose.  He's undergone multiple reconstructive surgeries to repair the damage, with little success.

However, he's dealt with his physical issues with courage.  He fights every step of the way. He attends pain management groups.   He exercises and does what he can to combat the disease.  Plus, he still works part-time with his corporation.  He remains upbeat.

However, after seeing him, I realized the disease is beginning to overwhelm him.  He's been sober nearly 30 years and prides himself on his recovery.   But the pain is so intense he has to use serious pain medication to function – something I know bothers him because of his many years of recovery.

I admire him for continuing to battle.  And I ask myself if I’d have the courage this man has if I were facing the challenges of living with his debilitating pain.

After visiting with him I’m reminded to be grateful each day for what God has given me.

Comments?  schwary@msn.com