Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Higher Power

Living with the blessings of recovery, we learn to trust God.  But when we first come to the program this might be a daunting task.

For so long my Higher Power was drugs and alcohol.  Then all of a sudden I’m asked to switch - to trust God to do for me what I couldn’t do for myself? Hmmm…

This wasn't easy because for so many years I ran my own life - albeit quite poorly.   So even though I’d done such a poor job, turning things over to God was strangely uncomfortable .

Often I would take my will back and try to run my life again.  And how did I know I was doing this? I’d realize it when my life started to get messed up, to go sideways.

Today, no matter what challenges I face, I look at them as being God's will.  I sometimes pray "God, I don't know what all this means. Please help me understand.”

I’ve learned that when we’re facing the most daunting challenge, that within this challenge may lie unexpected rewards.

Challenges often turn out to be blessings, blessings that allow us to trust our Higher Power even more.