Saturday, October 26, 2013

Testimonial

Below is a moving letter from a TLC outpatient client to her insurance company, written in an effort to gain additional coverage.

“I have been struggling with my addiction for 6 years now. TLC is the one facility that I have actually succeeded in. I left here two months ago to go try things out back home and they didn't work out.

I came back here to get my life back together and continue on. TLC shows me how to live my life without using heroin. That's one thing I have a hard time with the most. I don't know how to live my life sober. Here we learn the way to do so and get to practice them by taking it slow, dealing with life on life's terms without the use of drugs. We get to chose to stay clean and do what we need to do in order to not use.

I wasn't ready to leave the first time around. I need to be here. TLC provides groups and counseling and also provides sober activities. They help you go to school and work. Anyone can come here and start from scratch and learn to have structured freedom. Learn to live. Find who they are, what they want to do, and how to do it. I am so grateful to have a place like this to go to because not many addicts or alcoholics are fortunate enough to have a safety net.

It would mean so much to my family and I if my stay could be approved at least a little. I want to live a healthy life and go to college and eventually have a family. Addiction is a disease and without the love, support, and guidance I get here, I'm scared that it will be something that defeats me (as it has time and time again) for the rest of my life. I've lost so many people and things to this disease. I want to live. I cannot live as a prisoner of heroin any longer. Please give me the opportunity to have another chance at getting this right, possibly even my last chance."


Thank you, ___________.

Not much else to say.