Saturday, November 2, 2013

Meditation?

Newcomers to the 12-step programs sometimes have questions about this thing called "meditation."

So now that I'm sober, I have to dress like a monk and sit cross-legged for a couple hours a day? Or do I read daily meditations from a small book? Do I read the bible? Do I need a mantra? Do I need a spiritual guide?

Sometimes these questions can baffle us. But here are resources for those interested in learning more.

Something we did 15 years ago at TLC – at a time when we could afford it – was to send a dozen key staff members to a course in Transcendental Meditation. Even though it was kind of expensive, it benefited our organization. And some of us continue meditating to this day – myself included.

Here's the link for those interested in the TM school of meditation. At this site you find scholarly studies that discuss the positive results obtained from this form of meditation.

But because money’s an issue for most in early recovery, there are innumerable free resources on the Internet.

One of my favorite sites is Leo Babuta’s blog, Zen Habits.

Read his October 30 posting entitled, "12 Indispensable Mindful Living Tools." Here he describes simple and free methods to engage in mindfulness, a simple form of meditation available to us all at no cost.