Wednesday, December 25, 2013

A Different Christmas

For the first time I'm spending Christmas without my lovely wife, Dr. Dawn. No, nothing has happened to her or between us.

She went to another state to support a best friend whose mother died a few days ago.

She and her friend spent many college years together. And during that time she and the mother became close.

However, I’m lonely without her. And I realize for the first time that I have a relationship with not just a wife but someone who is a constant companion, a good friend, a business partner, and confidant.

It’s not like we live in lockstep. However, I do very little without taking her into consideration. It’s a partnership I value and treasure.

On page 83 in the recovery literature, we find the phrase “…a new happiness…” And that describes exactly where I’m at in this period of my recovery. We enjoy each other. We have business success. We travel a few times a year.

I recall that when I had seven years in recovery – and was enjoying success - my sponsor said something prophetic. He said “you think that this is as good as it gets. But it gets better as time goes on.”

He was right.