Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Thursday, December 19, 2013

A Shortcut?

Clients are sometimes lazy when it comes to making changes.

This came up the other day while working with a client who says he has no self-esteem.

Because I'm a certified hypnotherapist he wanted me to hypnotize him to improve this aspect of his life.

It seemed that he believed I could go into his subconscious and plant some suggestions for a quick fix.  And that he would have to do nothing. But that's not the way it works. 

Prior to our session I explained that there were things he could do to bolster self-esteem. And that hypnotherapy is merely a tool that could aid him in his efforts.

We went ahead and had a session. And I didn't see him for a few weeks. However, when I saw him he was still moping around, head down, and not feeling very well about himself.

When I asked how he was doing, he said he was about the same. That he had seen little improvement.

When I asked if he tried any of the suggestions about things he could do to boost his self-esteem, he said no.

That's when I realized it was going to take a lot of motivation for him to change.  But I’m not sure he’s willing to do the hard work.