Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Happy Anniversary

When I first met my wife, Dr. Dawn, it was love at first sight. When she walked into my office on that morning in 2004 I fell under her spell. I was enchanted by this svelte, bright, lovely creature who came for a job interview.

She accepted the counseling position offered and worked part time with TLC for a few years. Because she was married we only had a distant and platonic friendship. Eventually she went on to other opportunities and we pretty much lost contact.

A few years after, late in 2008, I encountered her downtown and she told me she was about to complete her divorce. We began dating the next day. And soon were living together.

Two years ago today on her birthday, December 3, 2011, we were married.

We enjoy travel, we enjoy laughing together, we like spending time together. We pay attention to each others needs. She does the little things that let me know she thinks of me.

Today I find myself with a woman who lets me be myself. When we have differences, rather than reacting in anger, we start talking about it right away.

We've never had a disagreement that’s lasted more than a few hours. We settle issues quickly and move on. And I’m grateful to her for teaching me how to do that.

One of the blessings of my recovery is that I’ve found someone with whom I can share the promises.