Monday, December 9, 2013

Higher Power?

I find it interesting when an addict has trouble believing in a power greater than themselves.

But because most of those I hear this from are new to recovery I realize that spiritual development sometimes flowers only after years of recovery.

It would be a sad world indeed if I were the highest power that I knew.

Because during the years when I was my own higher power I always ended up in trouble. It was prisons, homelessness, divorce, bankruptcy, or some other sad situation that my good direction got me into. Not a very good track record for a Higher Power.

I'm not sure what God looks like because no one I know has ever seen his face. But if you want to witness a bit of his handiwork go outside tonight, look up at the sky, and pick any star.

Scientists say that the light from the star we're seeing tonight came from an exploding supernova some 500 years ago. That was in the middle ages when soldiers were still riding horses and wearing armor.  We live in a universe so immense that it takes 500 years for the light of an exploding star to reach us?

Phenomena like that shows me that there's a power greater than myself, whatever form it takes.

Click here to leave a comment