Monday, February 3, 2014

Meeting Ourselves

A man from San Francisco comments on this blog and says he’s “struggling to get clean.”

I respond by letting him know we can help if he wants to come to Arizona.

He answers with, “Arizona sounds awesome. But I've decided not to do any more running. It never works out!

“Before I arrived in San Francisco I lived in Miami, Houston, Hartford, Denver and a bunch of small towns in between. And every time I moved to a new city I told myself I'd stay clean.

I've been clean before and I've had my own businesses. But then I relapse and find myself starting over.”

He has a good point. No matter where we go we take ourselves with us.

Almost 30 years ago I left California for Arizona with some vague idea that I’d leave my issues behind. But when I arrived in Phoenix I met myself at the bus depot.

Moving had changed nothing. Things only changed when I faced my addictions and got into recovery.

Sounds like this reader is going to do the same thing.

Click here to leave a comment