Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Work of Recovery

Every so often, maybe once a month, someone asks me how to start a halfway house or recovery program.

And if they're in Arizona I usually respond with "if you wanted to start selling hamburgers would you ask McDonald's for their recipe?" Usually the conversation ends with them making unpleasant remarks about my maternal ancestors. Or else they'll say something snarky about me not wanting to help addicts and alcoholics get sober.

Normally, when someone contacts me from out-of-state and asks how to do what we do, I offer assistance. But my experience has been that once I explain about housing costs, zoning laws, insurance - and tell them how many hours it takes each day to manage a group of people - I don't hear from them again.

The reality is that the recovery business is emotionally draining hard work. And those who succeed know about long hours and hard work.

They become used to changing direction a few dozen times a day. One minute we might be breaking up an argument between two clients. The next minute we'll have a phone call from the bank wondering why we don't have insurance on a certain property. Next we'll get an emergency call about a sewer line backed up. Or we’ll get a call from an employer saying one of our clients walked off the job. Then a client will complain that the cook burned the toast. After a while you learn to accept the changing tempo as being part of the day's work.

There’s an unceasing stream of issues when dealing with human beings who have problems with drugs and alcohol.

I recommend this as a business if one has a mission of helping others get into recovery.

It’s a gift from God to see an addict blossom and grow into their potential. Just make sure to bring your work clothes.

Click here to leave a comment