Sunday, March 9, 2014

Another Critic

Selecting a topic for this blog is sometimes a challenge – especially after 1320 postings. Because the theme is recovery I have a wide range of topics. However, in its own way that can also be limiting.

Today I came up with two potential topics: one was about a client who lied to my face, then lied to another staff member about the lie he told me. The other was about a guy who sent an email that initially kind of hurt my feelings. I decided to go with that one.

(I didn't publish last part of the email to protect anonymity.) But the first part went like this, verbatim:

"Reading the blog...what a joke, John you really have know idea what goes on in your facilities do you. Managers testing dirty, others test dirty but you have no one else to replace them so, the tests get buried.managers stealing/embezzling etc, now there in charge of your accounting department."

The part that tweaked my sensitive alcoholic feelings is where he wrote " ...The blog… What a joke..." But I got over that pretty quick. After all, there are a lot of things I read that I don't like. Either I don't like the way it's written.  Or I don't like the content. Or both. And the way he put his email together I knew his comments weren't literary criticism.

The part about having “know” idea about what goes on in our facilities didn't bother me. After all, sometimes I don't know many details because we have 650 clients and 95 staff members.

But I trust those who work for us. And when something's wrong it quickly comes to light. And where he mentioned that we have "no one else to replace them" he’s delusional because we have people lining up to work for us. Our challenge is to pick the best candidates.

My assessment is that he's angry because he was discharged from our program for some infraction. Perhaps he got drunk. Maybe he stole something. Or it could have simply been a personality clash.

Whatever it is, when he decides to come back and get into recovery we're willing to help.  Even if he doesn't like this blog.