Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Friday, March 21, 2014

Determination

Yesterday’s blog about a woman scarred for life in a sexual assault brought several responses. I found the following email inspirational for those facing challenges in their recovery.

“When I was 29, I was severely burned, I had 3rd degree burns over large parts of my body.

The only way I was able to survive was to live minute to minute. I would decide to live for one more minute and then the next. To contemplate more was simply too much. I could feel death standing by the side of my bed just waiting for me to give up. But I fought on one minute at a time. Eventually it was hour to hour and then day to day.

After 4 years and many surgeries, I was able to resume my life. Now 34 years later I have been happily married for 42 years and have 24 beautiful grandchildren.

Life is worth living! However, at times we do have to hold on for just a minute with a white-knuckle grip, and then for one more, and one more and . . .”


Those of us in recovery have our own kind of pain. I find inspiration in this man’s determination in the face of his challenges.

Click here to leave a comment