Friday, March 21, 2014

Determination

Yesterday’s blog about a woman scarred for life in a sexual assault brought several responses. I found the following email inspirational for those facing challenges in their recovery.

“When I was 29, I was severely burned, I had 3rd degree burns over large parts of my body.

The only way I was able to survive was to live minute to minute. I would decide to live for one more minute and then the next. To contemplate more was simply too much. I could feel death standing by the side of my bed just waiting for me to give up. But I fought on one minute at a time. Eventually it was hour to hour and then day to day.

After 4 years and many surgeries, I was able to resume my life. Now 34 years later I have been happily married for 42 years and have 24 beautiful grandchildren.

Life is worth living! However, at times we do have to hold on for just a minute with a white-knuckle grip, and then for one more, and one more and . . .”


Those of us in recovery have our own kind of pain. I find inspiration in this man’s determination in the face of his challenges.

Click here to leave a comment