Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Half Measures

The 12-step literature says “half measures” availed us nothing.  So, whatever I do I give it 100 percent.

That comes to recovery, relationships, work, relaxation, or play. Whatever it is, I give it my all.

I bring this up because lately we’ve been dealing with a few clients who can’t seem to decide whether they want to be in recovery. Or if they want to continue their addiction.

Once in a while they’ll show up hot on a drug test – even though they might've been clean for 30-60 days. They’ll appear to be doing good. Then relapse. After a few days, they drag themselves back to the program, begging to be let in. It's like they can't figure out which way to go.

There's a suggestion in the literature that if one has doubts about whether they have a problem they should take another run at it. But what these folks are doing seems almost half-hearted.

I think those who are wishy-washy should leave and pursue their addictions until they figure out if they can successfully use or not.

I never tell clients it’s a good idea to get clean or sober. Who am I?  Life is our teacher and will let them know soon enough.

When they figure that out we can help.