Saturday, March 22, 2014

Having a Mission

I was raised by a generation that had a lifelong goal of retiring. They saved their money. They had retirement accounts. And when they achieved their goals they seemed okay doing pretty much nothing. And when I'd visit them I never figured out what they got out of living that way. I knew that kind of life would kill my spirit. And then my body.

So – even though I'm approaching 75 – I don't believe retiring will ever work for me. Not as long as I can drag myself to work.

After spending a week in the most beautiful place on earth, I'm beginning to look forward to rejoining our mission back home.

And it's not like I’m bored or there’s nothing to do. I spend time at the gym and swimming pool. Sometimes I walk on the beach in the early morning. I read and write daily. A massage here and there. I visit some of our favorite restaurants. I take my wife shopping for clothes and jewelry. Maybe it's like eating chocolate cake: too much can be cloying.

The larger perspective is that even though I've been working with addicts for over 23 years I never feel like I don't want to go to the office. It enriches the soul to help others smile again. To have a mission of helping others makes me feel alive.

Yes, working with recovering addicts and alcoholics produces energy – sapping drama. But it's nothing a week or two away doesn't remove.