Monday, March 24, 2014

Lawyering Up

A former client found with what looked like spice called to complain about how unfair it was for our staff to discharge him. He wanted back in.

“I had to stay outside all night. I don’t have any money or anywhere to go.”

Living outside isn’t good, so listened to him going on this way for a while. I do this when anyone complains. After all, none of us is perfect. And once in while we make a bad call.

Besides, this guy was fuming and I thought we might find an answer once he got rid of his anger. But then he screwed up: he used the “L” word. And that didn’t set well with me.

When anyone says they’re calling their lawyer the conversation’s over. Especially when I’m on vacation and the conversation’s costing 50 cents a minute.

Yet, I still didn’t hang up, probably because I realized he wasn’t thinking straight. Instead I said I’d look into the matter.

And before I hung up I suggested he’d get more from people if he didn’t threaten them while he’s also asking for help.

Click here to leave a comment