Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Good Advice?

After relatively minor outpatient surgery last Monday I received messages from well-wishers.  And I appreciated those messages.  Some were from family, some from friends.
And I know they came with love and good intentions. Yet, one message I received left me with mixed feelings.
This message came from a recovery friend from out-of-state whom I'v known for years.  And during his call he gave health tips and advice about how to "take care" of myself. 
While I'm sure he's had the best of intentions, he doesn't always engage in healthy behaviors.
He's been sober a while and is about 60 pounds overweight.  He smokes.  He doesn't exercise.  And he spends much of his leisure time vegging in front of the television.  He has high blood pressure and cholesterol problems.
I won't follow his advice about healthy living.
It’s like someone giving advice about recovery when they can't stay sober themselves.
I resolve the conflict in my head by realizing his message was one of love.  And that I need to be nonjudgmental for my own serenity.