Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Lottery Winner!

I laughed the other day when I heard a rumor going around the program that I’d won the lottery a few years back. The success of the program supposedly came from my windfall.

But I've never won a pile of money. I don't even play. In  a sense, though, I did win the lottery when I got sober in 1991. What are the odds of that?

After all, there's no particular reason God would smile upon me when he did.

In the scheme of things I was just another middle-aged addict with little hope of a better future. Then I had a moment of clarity – from who knows where – that led me to a detox here in Mesa, Arizona. How mysterious.

When I got sober in 1991 I had 73 cents in my pocket. I was living in a stolen car. I was homeless. I was stealing every day to obtain alcohol and drugs.

Success didn’t come easily. But I’d determined to do something different. I had a burning desire to change. And I took advantage of every opportunity that came to me once my head cleared.

Today I am one of those who's blessed. I'm one of the "lucky" ones.

If that's winning the lottery, then that is what happened for me.

Click here to leave a comment