Saturday, May 31, 2014

Birthday Reflections

Today I'm celebrating 75 years on planet earth.  And I'm grateful for having been around this long.

At one time – when I was in my 30s – I thought I wouldn't make it past my mid-40s.

The key thing to which I attribute my longevity is that I got sober going on 24 years ago, at 51.  Had I not done that I wouldn't have survived long at all.

The rest of the equation is that I live a healthy lifestyle.

·        I'm happily married to a lovely woman who takes good care of me. 

·        I have many friends and family who show me much love. 

·        I still work – albeit not out in 100° digging ditches – somewhere around 50 hours a week. 

·        For 23 years I've spent at least six hours a week in some type of fitness routine, whether it be weightlifting, bicycling, swimming, elliptical or some other kind of aerobics. 

·        I eat a vegan diet, rarely consuming even such animal products as eggs or cheese.

·         I have a mission in life, which is helping other addicts and alcoholics rebuild their lives – something I've been doing for 23 years.

·         I do Transcendental Meditation twice a day.

·         I write and read each day, and always am about three books behind.

·         I thank God each day for my many blessings and try to follow his path.

·         Gratitude rules my life.

Thank all of you for your good wishes
Click here to send John an email