Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Surprise

Yesterday, while filling in for another counselor, I had a session with a client I hadn't dealt with before. And since this was at the last minute I didn't have time to review his file. So I asked him to tell me about himself.

He began by saying how much he'd gotten from the program in the past 65 days. He was happy to be clean for a few months. He now had started a new career, and was doing well. In fact, he confided, he might soon have a more responsible position with better pay.

He talked enthusiastically about a new woman in his life, who also is in recovery. They have much in common, similar goals and tastes.

He also spoke of his family background and where he went to school.

And how about his recovery? He said sobriety was the foundation of his life today. And he knew that nothing else would work if he didn't stay sober and work the program.

When the session ended I congratulated him on his success and told him to keep up the good work. It was great to see an upbeat client - one experiencing success.

Afterward, before I prepared a report about the client's progress, I decided to clear my email.

To my surprise there was a message from the laboratory. The client I'd just seen had tested positive for alcohol a few days earlier.

Another reminder of the cunning and baffling disease we live with.

Click here to leave a comment