Monday, June 23, 2014

12-Step Blessings

The topic at this morning's 12-step meeting was "what has the program done for me?"

There were many answers about the benefits of recovery. Everyone had different reasons for their gratitude.

In my case, my whole world changed when I got into recovery – in a positive way.

For one thing, I no longer had the sense of doom I had when I was drinking and doing drugs. I wasn't looking over my shoulder to see if someone was about to arrest me. I woke up in the mornings, rather than coming to.

I started thinking about what I was going to do with my life, instead of just drifting.

I had nothing much in a material sense that first year in recovery. But I was happy being alive and not having to pay homage to my addiction.

As time went on the program brought many blessings. I began to communicate with my family. I was able to repay everyone I owed money.

After that the blessings multiplied even more. When I was sober three years the courts granted me custody of my youngest daughter. I was able to build a successful recovery business and prosper as an investor. The program helped me stay sober through an ugly divorce. I remarried in 2011 to a lovely woman who's also in recovery.

I could go on and on with details. But the reality is the 12-step programs gave me my life back.

And for that I am ever grateful.

Click here to email John