Sunday, June 8, 2014

God's Will?

Over 20 years ago I asked my first sponsor how I would know I was doing God's will rather than following my own will.

He said I’d know because my life would be running smoothly, that I wouldn't be running into roadblocks and dead ends.

Being a skeptical newcomer I had my doubts. Because he'd been sober for many years I guess I expected something philosophical and lofty. But no, I got something simple about roadblocks and dead ends.

But eventually I had to admit he was right. But only after butting my head a number of times and suffering serial bouts of pain.

Now. many years later I’m amazed at how smoothly my life unfolds. If I try something a few times without success I start asking myself is this God’s will? Or my will?

If I’m achieving success then I believe it’s God’s will.

Click here to email John