Sunday, June 22, 2014

Happy Birthday, Ralph!

It's tradition in the 12-step programs to celebrate anniversaries. But most anniversaries are in the lower ranges: 10 years. 15 years. 20 years. 25 years. Once in a while, maybe 30 years and above.

So today, as we celebrate the 40th anniversary of one of our venerable members, it's a unique occasion indeed.

Since he entered recovery he's carried the message to thousands in the program. He follows the mandate of the 12-steps by carrying the message - both by action and example.

This man has also served as my sponsor for the past 18 years. He's there when I go through tough times, which aren't all that often. But it's comforting to know, when I encounter things I don't understand, that there's someone there to put me on the right path.

Twelve step programs stress principles before personalities. But there are personalities, like him, whose lives embody the principles of the program.

Happy birthday Ralph H!

Click here to email John