Thursday, August 28, 2014

1500 Days...

The counter on the Google website says I've been writing this blog for 1500 days yesterday. That's a little over four years. Not sure why, but every time I add another 100 blogs it seems sort of a benchmark. So every time I add another hundred, I usually write about it.

I tell myself that I write this to keep my brain in shape. I use the analogy that it's kinda like going to the gym. It's an exercise in discipline and persistence. But instead of for the body, it's for my mind – to hone my writing skills.

Whatever it is, it seems also to be an extension of my obsessive personality. Whenever I like something I become addicted to it. That's what's happened to me with drugs. With alcohol. Exercise. Work. Anything that has a hint of feel good about it, I become addicted to it.

Sometimes when I think about writing after a tiring day I ask myself what's the point? Sometimes it takes 45 minutes to polish these words so they make sense. Even the next morning, I'll review what I wrote the night before and make changes.

Aside from self-centered motives I mentioned above, there's another thing that keeps me at this. And that's the parents and family members who write to say that reading the blog helps them feel connected to their loved ones at TLC. Plus, they get some insight into how the program works.

That's enough right there for me to keep doing what I'm doing.