Sunday, August 3, 2014

Good Examples

As part of my recovery I often make a gratitude list.

And when I do I find that the simplest things sometimes make it onto the list.

For example, our two Chihuahuas - Jose and Lucy - made it onto the list this week.

Now the dog owners among you will understand my gratitude.

But for those of you who are not, I'll explain.

While I'm not one who attributes human qualities to dogs, their behavior is still an example for us humans. Especially us humans in recovery.

They're much better than I am about letting go of resentments. One moment they they'll be fighting over a bone. Five minutes later they're rolling around and playing together

If someone had snarled at me like that I'd be pouting for a week and whining to my sponsor. But they just get over it.

When I show up after a long day, they never ask where I've been. Or what took me so long because they're hungry. Instead, they welcome me with leaps of joy.

They're an example of total acceptance and unconditional love - things I'm still working on.

Click here to email John