Saturday, September 6, 2014

Anniversary

Yesterday, September 5, was an anniversary.

On that date, 54 years ago I stood in front of a Superior Court judge in Santa Ana, California. He handed me a 10 year prison sentence for heroin possession. I was 19 years old.

I went to prison angry. I was angry because the amount of heroin that I had, residue in the spoon, wasn't enough to keep an addict high for an hour. But in those days people who used drugs were evil monsters. And the only option for those convicted of possession was prison. Even being under the influence of heroin or possessing paraphernalia called for a year in jail.

Under the same circumstances today I probably wouldn't have even gone to jail for such a small amount. At the most, I would have an option of going to treatment.

Now I'm not lamenting what happened to me back in last century. It's the way things were. The prisons were full of addicts, many serving long terms for minor offenses.

Instead, I'm happy society is more enlightened. We addicts are no longer viewed as evil. Even though we sometimes do evil things for drugs or alcohol.

Those seeking recovery have options if they want to pursue them. And I believe that's a sign that we're growing up in our attitudes about alcoholics and addicts.

However, society's better attitude toward alcoholics and addicts doesn't explain why alcoholism and addiction are as rampant as they were 50 years ago.

Any ideas?