Tuesday, September 30, 2014

We can Help

While walking out of a Subway yesterday evening I noticed a young man follow me out the door.

Once we were outside he asked for a dollar.

When I asked what was going on, he told me he was homeless and hungry.

Making an assumption that he was an addict, I handed him some money and said I could help.

But when I mentioned TLC, he had an immediate reaction.

"Not that place," he said. "I just left there today."

When I questioned him further, he had all kinds of reasons why he left. They were making him work. He had to pay to be there. There were bedbugs and cockroaches. The food was terrible. He had to go to meetings. He went on and on.

Finally - when he finished with his excuses - I gave him my card and told him if he changed his mind we were still willing to help.

As I drove away, I saw him looking at the card, perhaps thinking about my offer. 

In any event a few days being homeless and hungry might help him decide.

Click here to email John