Sunday, October 19, 2014

A Day at a Time

The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States.

Many of us addicts relate the phrase one day at a time to the twelve step programs.

But Lincoln supposedly said this almost a century before the 12th step programs were born.

Regardless of who came up with the idea of breaking our lives into small segments, it's a great concept to live by.

Who can't suffer through disappointment for one day? Or stress? Or depression? Or any other setback.

If I frame my life into what I can handle today then I might find that tomorrow presents a different perspective.

If I can make it today without a drink or a drug then I might be able to repeat the process tomorrow. Then for a string of tomorrows.

But we do it a day at a time.

Click here to email John