Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Monday, October 20, 2014

Certified

When I returned from my two week vacation I had a pleasant surprise in the mail.

It was the two year renewal of my certification as a CADAC - which I'd applied for before I left. This certificate lets me counsel addicts and alcoholics in our program.

To get the certification I took a several hour examination some six years ago.  And every two years I take 40 hours of continuing education to keep my status.

It's a challenge and an accomplishment for me because I hate formal instruction. I learn most everything on my own.

Having this certificate is more about my ego than anything else. I don't make any more money because of it. And I'm already the boss, so I don't get promoted.

And for 15 years - before I got certified - I'd been providing peer counseling to those in our program anyway.

Still it's nice to have it hanging there above my desk.

Now maybe people think I know what I'm doing.