Recovery Connections

John Schwary is CEO of Transitional Living Communities, a 850-bed recovery program he founded in Mesa, Arizona January 9, 1992 when he had a year sober. He's in his 27th year of recovery.

In these posts, he views life mostly through the lenses of recovery. While the blog is factual, he sometimes disguises events and people to protect anonymity.

Sunday, October 12, 2014

Gratitude Reflection

A tropical monsoon wakes me early in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, one of my favorite places.

A pleasant way to awaken. Because I've lived in Arizona for 30 years, this deluge is a treat. So I savor the downpour as I go through my morning meditation and yoga.

I easily drift to gratitude at times like this. Once more knowing I wouldn't have the blessed life I enjoy had God not broken up my love affair with heroin and alcohol.

I wouldn't have met or married my lovely and passionate wife.

I wouldn't be working with the challenging addicts God puts in my path.

Sometimes they're a frustrating group. Yet I'm grateful because they've taught me to be calm and patient.

Every once in a while one celebrates a recovery anniversary.

And at those times I thank God for allowing me to be part of the process.